Friday, March 22, 2013

This is why I do the End Women's cancer walk

Good morning to you all.

I am feeling a little emotional this morning and this is why:

I had day surgery yesterday and I guess the anesthetic is playing with my head. Anyhow I am home and feeling good and waiting to get the results hopefully by Monday.

As I put some things away this morning in to a trunk I came across a drawing and it is my Dad.
He is the real reason why I am doing the 60 klm walk, while it is called End Women's cancer walk, I am sure it will also benefit cancer in Men.

My Dad was my step dad and he married my mother in 1964 when I was just 3 years old. He met my Mother at a dance and ask her out, she said you need to know that I have seven children at home.

He laughed and said: Look you only have to say no if you don't want to meet again and she said no no it is true my husband left and I have seven children.

They arranged for him to come and visit and we all lined up at the door, he came with chocolate's and we told him that we didn't like those. My Dad thought that we must be very spoilt children, anyhow he stayed and became my Dad.

My only Dad.

We moved to Australia in 1983 and visited Germany in 1986 for three month and again in 1991, but this time because my Dad was sick with a brain tumor and not long to live.
I spend nearly three month with him, not the Dad I had but my sick Dad, I never forget the day I had to say goodbye to him for the last time, the kids had to go back to school in Australia and we had to leave.
We left in August and he past away in November, he wanted to around for his 25th wedding anniversary and made it.

He sat on the hospital bench near the lift with those very sad blue eyes and that is how I remember him.

The drawing of him should be in a frame but i can't bring myself to hang it up and that is why it was in the trunk.
I got it when my two sister came to visit and we went to the local country market, i didn't realise but they arranged to have this drawing done from one of his passport photos and didn't tell me.
So I couldn't understand why they wanted to go back to the market the next weekend.
We walk around and as we came past this cottage i look around and saw this drawing hanging on the veranda looking at me, stopped and staid to my sisters: look at that it could be Dad, they laughed and I cried.
It first I was very angry for them to do this to me, but I do love the drawing with one exception:

My Dad had the bluest eyes.
Thank you for letting me share this and if you can support my walk, you can buy a sticker or donate.
Details are in the previous post.

Christine


10 comments:

Anita : Shabby Quilt said...

Thankyou for sharing this lovely drawing and storey with us.

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Well...I'm sitting here with tears rolling down my face, I so understand. I keep my father's photos put away too....it is very painful sometimes. Now my mother is dieing of pancreatic cancer. I'll gladly donate to your walk.

Hugs,
Kelly

Bree said...

:)

Robyn G. said...

What a beautiful post Christine.. thankyou for sharing xx
Wishing you well in your walk. Your Dad would be so proud.
hugs

Janet said...

That's such a lovely story, thanks for sharing such a personal story.

Val Spiers said...

What a lovely reminder of your dad. He looks charming. Good luck in the walk.

Jessica said...

I am emotional all the time, don't need anesthetic for that LOL you have me very near tears, You have a great reason for your motivation. I hope you are recovering well. See you tomorrow.

Yvonne said...

Wow, what a beautiful story. You had the best Dad Christine! He must be an angel now!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

What a beautiful post...thanks for sharing :o)

Khristina aka Khris said...

Totally crying...I too am the same with photo's of the ones I have loved and lost. It is so very hard to have them out looking at you when you love them so much but can't have them near. I only recently put my sons photo out on the mantle last year and it was 9 years since his passing...its hard...I find it hard to look into his eyes though...big hugs Khris