Saturday, October 6, 2012

Back again

Good morning to anyone that is still coming to visit my blog, sorry it has been so long.
I have been on my trip to the US and Canada and it should have been a trip of a lifetime, well it wasn't all that as it did have some issues and disappointments.
I won't go in to details, but thank you to a number of people that made the trip bearable and still enjoyable for a good part of the trip.

On the quilting front not much is happening at the  moment and I am hoping to get in to sewing very soon.
While in Canada we were lucky to meet Linda Franz from Inklingo and what a lovely lady she is.
Go and check out her website as it will change your mind about hand piecing verses paper piecing.

www.inklingo.com

I am going to give it a go and with her blessing will look in to teaching some classes soon.

The other thing I finally managed and yes don't laugh is hand quilting using a hoop, many of you know I teach lap quilting and have tried many many times to use a hoop and thimble.
After taking a one day class with Nadine Thompson the penny dropped, I won't stop lap quilting but I will now include quilting in a hoop. Yay for me and thank you Nadine.

Baltimore on the Prairie was wonderful, great tutors, great organisers, wonderful food and lovely accommodation. I would like to return if funds permit.

New York was interesting but to busy for my liking and the hotel was terrible. Yes it was central but did not feel safe or comfortable at all, nor was the accommodation in Omaha.
I guess paying the amount we did for the trip I would have thought all our accommodation would be of similar standard to what we had at Niagara Falls or Toronto.

I loved purl soho, a beautiful shop in New York and wonderful staff. Thanks to Glen we did find two lovely quilt shops in Omaha and also thanks to some lovely ladies at Baltimore on the Prairie for driving us Aussie to the Quilted Moose, great shop amazing choice of fabrics and yes we did send parcels home.

Washington DC was a great place to visit and I would go again with my husband, four of us got to the Dar museum only to be told they have just taking down a quilt exebition and that there are none for us to see.
I had met a lady at BOTP and she told me about quilts in the back room that are there to pull out, we pleaded with the young man setting up a new exebition. He got permission for us to go and have a look at them.
Well , they included the Mary Mannakee quilt and five other appliqué quilts, we could take pictures but are not allowed to show them here. Trust me they made the trip worth while.

Anyway that is enough from me for now, I will be back shortly with some picture.
Have a great day
Christine


12 comments:

*karendianne. said...

I'm completely thrilled to read about you're use of Inklingo. I'm hooked and think its just the best. I can only imagine, oh imagine the great stuff that will come of this. It would be so great to teach!!!! *karendianne.

Dora, the Quilter said...

I'm sorry such a grand trip held disappointments. (NYC and safety issues would be worrisome.) You deserved a perfect trip, so I hope you gathered enough perfect memories to blur the not so pleasant ones.

Bree said...

Glad you are home safe and well. Hope to see you soon :)

Lurline said...

Would love to hear more! Sorry you had disappointments, but I hope the good outshone the bad.
Hugs - Lurline.

Julia said...

Welcome back...so sorry there were some dissapointments.
Hope you managed to get lots of retail therapy to remember some good times..
Julia ♥

Nadine said...

Aaaah, there you are ! ;>) I didn't know you were on a big trip and was feeling a bit concerned about you. Now I 'm so happy that everything is OK with you. Welcome back, dear ! Looks like you sure did meet very interesting quilters and I wish I'd be close, so as to follow one of your workshops !
Regarding handquilting, I've always used a hoop and would SO MUCH love to learn more about LAP QUILTING ! I'm beginning arthritis and that big hoop is not so easy to use, as before... Any chance for a lap quilting pictures tutorial, one of these days, dear ?

ENJOY your home and weekend !

XOXOXOXOXO
NADINE

Jessica said...

I hope the positives outweighed the negatives. It sounds like at least some of it was wonderful! I would be very interested in learning more about inklingo, I have looked at the website before, so if you do get to teach it let me know!
Welcome home!

Yvonne said...

Hi Christine, I am so sorry for you that your trip wasn't what you expected to be. Luckily we never had such bad experiences in the US. Did you go on a quilt trip?

Mimi said...

You hit the BIG points and the real points.... a trip to the Quilted Moose is special and those Prairie States are my kind of people. Look forward to seeing more about your trip.

Lori said...

Welcome back! You have been missed!!

Val Spiers said...

Sorry to hear your trip had some problems. Seems like you got to see some quilt shops though. I am going to have a look at linklingo.

Deidre said...

The negatives outweighed the positives and despite it all, we had a good time. I am so grateful to have met Linda Franz and then to spend some extra time with her. Her Inklingo program is brilliant and I was amazed how much I could stitch in such a short time. You were an awesome travel buddy and room buddy and I am grateful to you lifting my spirits when I was down, which unfortunately was quite often. Looking forward to traveling with you again and having many stitching days together. Thank you my friend. x