Sunday, October 2, 2011

On a roll....

There are ways on keeping your customers shopping in your store, this is what would work for me:

Have a well stocked sales table..... for backings

Offer a discount on backing when customer purchases all fabric for the top...

Offer 20% off if they come back to purchase batting and backing in the next couple of month after buying their fabric for the top..

Good friendly customer service, even when a small purchase is made

Try and get to know your customers name

If you don't have what they are after, suggest another local business, customers will come back to you because you help them find what they are looking for...

Quick mail order, I don't want to wait 2 weeks for a parcel that is local....

Offer free how too's workshops

Offer smaller cuts, for a flat rate cutting charge, i.e if your customer needs lots of 2inch strips ( charge something like $5 ) they still safe by not having to purchase the minimum of 20cm.

What would make you purchase local and not online?

8 comments:

Shari said...

Thanks for a great dialogue on this topic. I buy most things locally or from an Australian on-line shop. I can and do order from the US when I think the local price is unreasonable.

Bree said...

I like a well stocked 'bargain' table even fat quarters or even fat eighths. Fabric that is a range of prices, not all $26 per metre. Imaginatively displayed wares and classes or tutorials or stuff that isn't always traditional or old fashioned.

Jessica said...

Customer service is huge for local shopping, I have been treated rudely I believe because of my age the sales person assumed I knew nothing about quilting.
Shopping online is great for prices and finding fabric that the locals don't have.

Lurline said...

Hi Christine! Have enjoyed your last couple of posts - seems like old times when we chatted about such over coffee. Yes, business is business and there's good business and bad business - all must be fair, Owners, we all appreciate being treated as inteligent people who can do their sums. Lots of smiles and special attention is appreciated - it is nice to feel special when we are shopping for things we love!
BOM's - so sad! There's quite a few about that I really love - an alternative? - sell the patterns at a fair price and make fabric supply optional!
Thanks for helping us say what we think!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Joy V said...

Agree with Lurline's comment on BOMs. When one has been quilting for a long time - you don't need any more fabric (??), just the pattern. I also don't want to wait 2-3 weeks for my parcel, when some from the US or UK can arrive within the week AND I don't like having to ring or email to find when it is coming - this has happened to me, 4 weeks I waited - never went back to that local shop.

Lori said...

You've started a great conversation and that is a good thing!! (love the last two posts too)

Yvonne said...

Just read your previous posts. You are so right. We all have to work hard for our money and there is nothing wrong with looking good how and where we want to spent it!

Barb said...

I love to shop in quilt shops. there are no good ones near me. The best one is an hour away - :(
then there is lancaster, 2 1/2 hours away.
it's a bummer.