Thursday, October 27, 2011

I love to hand quilt

do you?
Click on the button Celebrate Hand Quilting on the right side of my blog and it will take you to Caron's blog, there are links to other bloggers talking about why they love hand quilting.

When I first started Patchwork & Quilting I thought I had to learn to hand quilt as that is what drew me to quilts.
After trying and taking classes I could not use a Hoop or Thimbles and thought I could not hand quilt.

I still wanted too, so I tried to lap quilt and changed my technique that suited me and the rest is history. Having taught many hand quilting classes and seeing people taking up hand quilting is really great.

There is just something about it and while it takes much longer it sure makes a quilt even more special to me.

I will try and do a tutorial in the near future and show you how I hand quilt without a Hoop or Thimble.

You can see some of my hand quilted quilts a few posts ago, I will also take a picture of my Dresden Plate tomorrow and add it to this Post.

12 comments:

Barb said...

Looking forward to seeing your method.
I sometimes quilt without a hoop too especially those little doll quilts.

Maxine said...

I love hand-quilting, too. The repetitive motion gives me time to think and dream and, in my mind, solve the problems of the world. At quilt shows I seek out hand-quilting and am never disappointed with the workmanship.

Yvonne said...

I took some lesson's in handquilting several years ago, with a hoop and thimble. It wasn't easy at the beginning but it got better every day. I wonder how you do without a hoop and thimble.....
I agree with you that a hand quilted quilt is the most beautiful you can get!

Janet said...

What a great idea, imagine my surprise when I visited and saw moi has been included. In my sewing group, of the handquilters, most do lap quilting so I'll be looking forward to your method.

Julia said...

I lap quilt too Christine, but I do need to use a thimble..
Machine quilting has it's place, but for me, hand-quilting is so special, so homely and soft. Mine is not always perfect, but I love a hand-quilted quilt.

Jessica said...

I just sent you an email about hand quilting...and then I saw this post!
Can't wait to learn!

Deidre said...

Thanks to Christine, I can now lap quilt after 20 years of hoops. I am thinking of making another Double Wedding Ring quilt for my son and new daughter in law and I will hand quilt it too like I have previously. Thanks Christine.

Toni said...

Hi Christine, I love hand-quilting too. It's peaceful and soothing and I love the very special texture it gives to a project. Unfortunately I rarely have time to hand-quilt. The expectation of high turnover in the industry doesn't allow that luxury. I have several hoops and have recently sold my large quilting frame :o/ I like using leather thimbles - I can't use the metal ones, I'm completely hopeless with them :0>
toni xxx

Willow said...

I love to handquilt too!
So, I'm very interested in your technique. I can't imangine how you quilt a real big one without an hoop :-)

Viele Grüße
Willow

Sew Create It - Jane said...

I love to hand quilt...I just don't do it as often as I'd like.

Melinda Cornish said...

I so admire hand quilting but I am terrible about it. I think it is because I taught myself quilting from start to finish on a sewing machine. I know practice makes perfect though. Your quilts are beautiful....

Caron Mosey said...

Thanks so much for linking to my blog! I adore hand quilting, and visit your blog often!