Sunday, October 23, 2011

3rd post "My Quilts"

The blue and white quilt is a commercial pattern from a book, the designer is from the US ( I think sisters?) and I must find the right name to let you know. I love this quilt.
It is made from lots of scrappy blues and creams, some creams are old fabrics given to me by a friend, she lived in the US for 30 years and moved back here. She had some antique fabrics and shared some with me.

The quilt is machine pieced, hand appliqued and hand quilted, sorry for the creases as it is not hanging on the wall at the moment.
I entered this quilt one year in Sydney and it received the encouragement award, this quilt has been many times in the washing machine and I like it more the older it gets.
The batting is Heirloom 100% cotton, not the easiest to hand quilt, but lovely when done.






The last one is a combined design by Lurline and myself. Lurline found the picture in a Book called Quilts of Winsconsin and the original was made in about 1930's by girls from a College, the quilts where given away as gifts.

Lurline drafted the aplique patterns and passed the project on to me, I appliqued and pieced the quilt. It is hand quilted and again one of my favourites as it is so simple in design.
I named the Quilt " Sleep Baby sleep" in 2009 only to read not long ago the Book by Dr. Annette Gero and find a pattern in the book by Kim Mclean also called Sleep Baby sleep.

The quilt got a 2nd prize in the show and to be honest looked really lost in all the modern designs.
I have a pattern for this quilt available if anyone is interested.
Our little Emily stand in front of this quilt and hugs it and does a clicking sound with her tongue for the Horse, she is 19 month.


12 comments:

Cheryl said...

Thanks for sharing all your quilt designs...very talented!

Janet said...

You do such beautiful work. I would love a copy of the Sleep Baby
Sleep pattern. I have often admired the quilt in the Wiscousin book too. Keep sharing your quilts,
I love looking at them.
Janet

Yvonne said...

What an amazing quilts you have made! I loved watching your pictures of them, thanks for sharing them with us!

LeKaQuilt said...

Hi, your quilts is beutiful! I woud love an copy of the Sleep Baby Quilt.

James-Linda said...

BEAUTIFUL QUILTS!
BUT OH MY! I DO LOVE THE BLUE! IT IS SO OLD-FASHIONED LOOKING! I'M A NOVICE AT HAND QUILTING+CAN BARELY ACCOMPLISH IT WITH THIN THIN POLY BATS,HOW DID YOU EVER MANAGE DOING THE COTTON?THIS IS A WORK OF ART ♥
THANKS FOR SHARING!

Janet said...

I'm loving revisiting your quilts. The blue is beautiful.
I have visions of Emily hugging the quilt, how sweet.

Marcia W. said...

Your quilts are lovely. I can see that the intricate designs and precise quilting contributed to your winning so many ribbons. Thanks for sharing.

Shari said...

Both of these quilts are so lovely and unique. The horse applique is very charming.

theredbootquiltcompany said...

Hi Christine, I think 1930's Treasure is my absolute favourite :0> Your quilts are so beautiful, thank you for sharing them with us. My holder upper person/s are very impatient too :oP tonixxx

Karen said...

The blue quilt with a touch of yellow is a good one. Just the right amount of yellow to make me happy.

teresa said...

I have been absolutely drooling over your gorgeous quilts over the last 3 posts. You have made some truly beautiful quilts. I can see why you've won so many ribbons :)

Barb said...

beautiful quilts!! I love them both.
I was just looking at the 2nd one in a book recently. Your pattern of it great.