Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Natural Gas.... or clean water?

I am sitting here watching a program called Gasland on SBS 3 by Josh Fox and it is about what these Oil and Gas Companies are doing to Water supplies in the US to drill for Gas there are chemicals used like Arsenic, Anti Freeze and others, they call it fracking fluids to find the Gas. They show people turning on their tap and setting the water on fire......

There are whole communities that have all their water supplies contaminated, all throughout Texas, up north to Delaware, if you can try and watch this program it is scary as we are now doing this here in Australia.

I ask myself why are we risking our water, water means life, no water no life. Here in Queensland in the Darling Downs 100's of drilling's are planned and there are few protesters. It needs to be stopped.
The greed of these Oil and Gas companies are making me sick. Why are we doing this when we already know what it does to the environment in the US.

Towns in the US are being supplied with bottled drinking water and the Fat Cat's of these Companies are sitting in their Ivory Towers, it makes my blood boil.
I am not apologising for writing this as I think we all need to talk about it.
No matter what Country we live in.

Here in Australia the Mining Industry is big and is a big Export Industry, but there is not enough given back to the people and the country, it makes a small amount of people very wealthy and our Politicians are Puppets to these Mining Bosses.

I guess we all use Oil and Gas but I am sure there are better and safer ways but that might mean a smaller profit margin at the end of the day.....

9 comments:

Barb said...

Good For you for bring this to the front. I agree and it totally makes my blood boil too!
When we will take value in something other than money!
Makes me un-proud to be an American.
We are becoming so morally bankrupt.

Jan said...

Isn't it sad that both parties in the US have pandered to these destructive companies, and their practices. Surely there must be some way of stopping this? I am all for business, and creating jobs, but this is just wrong. That, and the financial organizations that played such a part in putting us all in this awful, worldwide economic state!

Yvonne said...

Wouldn't it be great to be able to do something against those companies? If anyone would know how to, I think we should all unite and help. We are always complaining that the Dutch government is doing their best and try to be the best in class but I think in the end that is better than to look the other way!

Toni said...

Christine I seem to be in a permanent state of outraged ANGER at the moment. We are in the middle of a greed epidemic, uber profits over overthing. There is no morality, no ethics, nobody cares as long as they make a record profit. Corruption is rife at every turn, from massive corporations to the smallest government. The general attitude seems to be 'who cares if people die or get sick or can't afford to eat' as long as the shareholders and CEO's are getting rich. I've decided I can't live on this planet anymore... humanity in general disgusts me... anyone for building a moon-base? Mars? I've heard the moons of Jupiter are pretty at this time of year? You're not alone in your anger, toni xxx

circle retreat quilter said...

here here. I missed the program but as you say look at the price paid by the communities. When will money not be the root of all evil.

Julia said...

Hear, hear Christine...I agree with you. It's all about the mighty dollar and how much profit they can make!
Water is life..
No one cares about anything anymore..
Julia ♥

Cindy said...

The world we live in is becoming so sad. The United States was built on one nation under God...now they are taking all that away. Mind you, I am not a religious person, but I am one full of faith. I can see what happens when faith is no longer the path you choose in life. It seems as though money is taking the place of God and it truly scares me. I don't watch the news any more because it totally depresses me. I get so angry at all of this!! The big corporations are making the rules and running our politics. It all boils down to who has the most money. How do we make a difference? I ask myself that every day.

Barbara said...

I've seen Gasland. Sickening, isn't it? I'm so glad we don't have natural gas where I live.

The Quilted Finish ph 02 63310084 said...

As Barb said in the first comment humanity is so morally bankrupt. It horrifies me when I see things like Gasland and the barbaric slaughter of Australian cattle in Indonesia( I'm not a vegetarian, I grew up on a farm where we produced beef cattle and fat lambs). Australia is so water poor we can't afford to risk any of it!! It makes me so mad because I feel so helpless to effect any change.